Monday: Make the chili
- 3 cups cooked beans
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- 1 can tomato paste
- 3 Tbs chili powder
1. Chop up all the vegetables.
2. Put the ground beef in pot and cook through, stirring often.
3. When the beef starts to get cooked, add onions, jalapeños, and bell pepper. Cook through.
4. Add tomatoes and let them cook down into the meat.
5. Add beans and chili powder. Let simmer on low heat for about 1 hour, stirring every 10 minutes to keep the chili from burning on the bottom of the pan. Everything should be blended and start to have a soft chili-like consistency.
6. Stir in tomato paste to help thicken.
7. Taste the chili. Adjust the seasoning as needed. Put some cheese on top and enjoy.
Cost of Dish: Beans: $.92 (Half of our beans we made yesterday.); Ground beef: $2.63; Vegetables: Free from the garden; Tomato paste: $.69; Chili powder: $.60.
Total Cost: $4.84
ETA: Thanks to Drink of the Week for featuring this recipe.