What is the best part about shower curtains? Well, they have two sides, one that keeps water where you want, and another that adds a visual aesthetic design element. IKEA shower curtain products come in a range of materials and styles that will get the job done. You can even cut some of them to your desired length.
Speaking of sizes, there are three standard IKEA shower curtain sizes. Those are 70 x 70 inches, 70 x 72 inches, and 72 x 72 inches. One will definitely work in your home. Now, if you have an oversized shower, stall shower, or a curved curtain rod, you might need a different size.
How to pick the right shower curtain
A shower curtain is an essential accessory to every bathroom. Choosing the right one can make a difference between an amazingly decorated space, and not-so-much. Buying a new shower curtain is one of the simplest and cheapest ways to upgrade your bathroom.
But before you go and buy the first shower curtain that comes to mind, there are some things to consider. For example, material, size, style, and more.
Does that sound confusing to you? Well, we have some ideas on how to help you
Start by measuring the width
Take a tape measure and measure the entire length of the shower space from wall to wall. Then, add 12 inches to ensure the curtain will be able to move freely and reach both walls to provide enough coverage.
As we said before, there are three sizes. Choose one that fits the opening correctly. And if you do not have a standard-sized shower, you might need to get a custom-made curtain rod.
Determine the spot for the rod
In some cases, you might already have the shower curtain rod installed. But if that is not the case, you have to decide where you want to mount it. Do you want to mount it on the outside or on the inside of your shower?
Inside mounts fit between the opening exactly, while outside mounts have a bit more flexibility and can extend outside the actual opening.
If your rod mounts permanently to the wall, buy a shower curtain before mounting the rod.
Measure the height
You measured the width, now you need to measure the height. Determine how high off the floor would you like your IKEA Shower curtain to hang. Ideally, you want to have 1 or 2 inches off the floor.
If you hang the curtain too high, it will allow water to escape and pool on the floor. Hanging too low will cause it to bunch on the floor and create mold or mildew. Worse, you can even trip over it while getting out of the shower.
Get a tape measure, and measure the distance from where the rod will go to the floor. Subtract an inch or two for the hooks and 1-2 inches for the space between the curtain and the floor.
What are the best materials?
Shower curtains come in a variety of styles, sizes, and materials. Some of the popular materials include cotton, vinyl, and polyester. What is the difference?
For starters, vinyl shower curtains are a universally popular option because they are cheap and low-maintenance. They can be cleansed easily and come in different colors and patterns.
Vinyl naturally repels water, so you do not have to worry about mold and mildew. And because of their low cost, they are amazing for decorating on a budget.
Polyester shower curtains are waterproof, and they are particularly durable. They last longer and can be easily washed. The difference is that they have a fabric-look while being heavier. Polyester curtain works better for a shower with higher water pressure. But because of their height, you have to make sure your rail is sturdy enough to support the curtains.
A cotton shower curtain is a good option if you want a durable product. Yes, it is more expensive, but also easiest to wash. The downside is you have to wash it every month.
Cotton curtains look more luxurious in your bathroom because of their fabric and look. They absorb moisture easily, so get a quality liner to go with it.
How to keep your IKEA shower curtain from blowing in?
Do you hate the feeling when the shower curtain tries to attack you? Well, do not worry, there are a few ways you can prevent this.
- Buy as heavy a shower curtain as possible
- Use suction cups, shower curtain clips, and magnets to prevent the curtain from blowing in
- Try to hang the curtain further away as possible
- Hold the curtain in place with your shampoo bottles if you have a bathtub
How often should you wash it?
This depends mostly on the material of your IKEA shower curtain. As we said before, if you have a cotton one, you need to wash it every month. Sometimes, every few weeks to prevent mildew and stains.
Here is a fun fact. On average, a shower curtain can harbor 60 times more bacteria than your toilet seat. Yet, if you have vinyl or polyester, you do not need to wash them that often. Once in a few months is more than enough.
If you want to replace them and redecorate them, that is a different topic.
Tips and Shower Curtain Hacks
Let’s finish off with a few IKEA shower curtain hacks. These will help you to get the most out of your IKEA product.
- Get a washable liner to save money and reduce waste. Make sure the shower liner is made of waterproof fabric to prevent mildew problems
- If there are mildew problems, use baking soda and vinegar to remove stains
- Use a zigzagging shape to keep the mildew off the bottom of your shower curtain. Water will slide easily from an uneven hem and prevent any mildew problems
- If you need to, shorten the curtain to make sure there is 1 to 2 inches of space between the floor and the curtain
- Before using your IKEA shower curtain, wash it in salt water to prevent mold and mildew. Simply add warm water to a tub, dissolve two cups of salt, and then add your curtain. Let it soak for a few hours and then dry out completely
Design tips and hacks
We talked about efficiency hacks, but what about some design hacks? Here are a few ideas to try for your next home projects.
- Pay attention to details and opt for shower curtains with details like macrame details
- Hang it higher, it is the same trick that works with window coverings. Hang it higher for an impression of a higher ceiling
- Do not use plastic shower curtain rings that will make the place look cheap. Opt for metallic ones or rings painted with metallic paint
- Hang more than one shower curtain to give your bathroom a more luxurious feeling
- If you want a high-end look, opt for window curtains, but get a good shower curtain liner to protect the cotton from getting wet