Here’s an info graphic on how to make your own Raised Vegetable Garden Bed. See the whole thing here.
From the site:
7 Key Benefits to Raised Garden Beds / Garden Boxes:
1. They provide good drainage to your plants. This keeps plants healthy.
2. They prevent the soil from compacting too much, therefore encouraging the growth of roots.
3. Raised garden beds also keep pathway weeds from entering into the soil, therefore reducing the amount of work you need to do to keep weeds out of your garden.
4. They allow you to add the type of soil you want, including organic soil and compost soil, without having roots enter into deeper, less healthy soil.
5. It is easier for many people to tend to plants in a raised garden bed than on a flat surface. You can sit on the edge and weed the garden bed.
6. The garden’s bedsides create a barrier from many pests. With added fencing along the top, you can even keep out the deer and larger animals.
7. They are incredibly versatile. When you build raised garden beds, you do so in the size, shape and overall structure right for your space.
Pretty convincing, I must say…